Freelance Writer of Articles, Blogs, SEO, Web Content and Press Releases

Greetings and welcome to my online personal profile and blog. The purpose of this site is for us to become acquainted and to provide for you an opportunity to ascertain my diversity as a writer and a possible match to your needs. I have provided many links to various content that I have written and hope you take the time to peruse them. I also post periodically about the daily life and thoughts of a freelance writer, who spends too much time in home office confinement, and hope you will find it entertaining.

Monday, March 30, 2015

Hitting the Afternoon Wall

What is it about mid afternoon that makes a man want to nod off regardless of how well he slept the night before? I try to get eight hours sleep each night and be at my work station between 7:30 and 8:00 each weekday morning. I always eat breakfast, either before I start or an hour or so later. When lunch time rolls around I usually take 30 minutes and watch the news at noon and have a light meal which is typically a half a sandwich and a bottled water or maybe something from the night before like left over meatballs and spaghetti. The latter is an invitation to an afternoon carb crash but the former should not be. This seems to be an issue more for men than for women.

As sure as the sun glares through the blinds, between 3 and 4  I start to get heavy eyelids. One friend told me I should drink more water. Another suggested I should eat a piece of fresh fruit around 3 o'clock to ward off the day shift sandman. Neither of these worked. The water had its expected results and the fruit seemed to make me more tired.

One day I realized that it might be normal for a man to fall asleep for 30 minutes in the afternoon and it was the perception of women that napping was a product of laziness. That was my motivation for researching the subject. I discovered that Thomas Edison frequently fell asleep while working. My wife said that was why it took him so long to invent anything. I read that power naps increased productivity at the end of the day. My wife said it was an excuse to work late. I decided to try giving in to my urge to nod out at my desk for 30 minutes to see for myself how I would fare.  How did my wife know, from the other room, that I fell asleep?
 The door burst open and she asked abruptly, "Your not sleeping are you?"
Not anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment